Sound in notpron levels

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, frkyjenn, amh

Sound in notpron levels

Postby Jay2k1 » 01-03-2016 17:54

Hi,

as some of you already noticed, the levels now play sound :o

In fact, they were always meant to play sound, using the <bgsound> HTML element. This was problematic because it's a non-standard element invented by Microsoft which was only supported by Internet Explorer. Firefox was able to play bgsound using a plugin, but this was all very unsatisfying. Some people probably didn't know or didn't care enough and played notpron without sound.

I went through all the levels and replaced all <bgsound> elements by the cross-compatible, modern HTML5 element <audio>. Now you can play notpron with sound in any modern browser, without plugins! :J

I'm stuck in this level for hours and the sound is driving me crazy!
You can always mute a tab by clicking the sound icon in it:

Chrome users have it harder - apparently, clicking that icon in Chrome does not work out-of-the-box, you have to right-click the tab and select "mute tab" instead. If you want to be able to click the speaker, you can actually make Chrome do that:
Copy paste this address into your URL bar chrome://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting, press Enter and click "Enable", then restart Chrome.

Enjoy!
Jay
Jay2k1
Administrator

Re: Sound in notpron levels

Postby cybermerlo » 03-03-2016 15:09

Good to know. Thank you!

I was working on minus 21 when I noticed that something was wrong with the code (i was soo familiar with the bgsound tag).
So I started to check if that had something to do with the solution of the level but then I realized every level's tags were changed!

So....still stuck there! :D
cybermerlo

Postby Knutson » 09-08-2017 07:14

cybermerlo wrote:Good to know. Thank you!

I was working on minus 21 when I noticed that something was wrong with the code (i was soo familiar with the bgsound tag).
So I started to check if that had something to do with the solution of the level but then I realized every level's tags were changed!

So....still stuck there! :D

Same here Merlo.
Knutson

Postby amh » 09-08-2017 17:34

If you need guidance you can PM me.
amh

Return to Notpron