Page 1 of 1

Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 01-03-2016 17:54
by Jay2k1
Hi,

as some of you already noticed, the levels now play sound :o

In fact, they were always meant to play sound, using the <bgsound> HTML element. This was problematic because it's a non-standard element invented by Microsoft which was only supported by Internet Explorer. Firefox was able to play bgsound using a plugin, but this was all very unsatisfying. Some people probably didn't know or didn't care enough and played notpron without sound.

I went through all the levels and replaced all <bgsound> elements by the cross-compatible, modern HTML5 element <audio>. Now you can play notpron with sound in any modern browser, without plugins! :J

I'm stuck in this level for hours and the sound is driving me crazy!
You can always mute a tab by clicking the sound icon in it:

Image

Chrome users have it harder - apparently, clicking that icon in Chrome does not work out-of-the-box, you have to right-click the tab and select "mute tab" instead. If you want to be able to click the speaker, you can actually make Chrome do that:
Copy paste this address into your URL bar chrome://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting, press Enter and click "Enable", then restart Chrome.

Image

Enjoy!
Jay

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 03-03-2016 15:09
by cybermerlo
Good to know. Thank you!

I was working on minus 21 when I noticed that something was wrong with the code (i was soo familiar with the bgsound tag).
So I started to check if that had something to do with the solution of the level but then I realized every level's tags were changed!

So....still stuck there! :D

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 09-08-2017 07:14
by Knutson
cybermerlo wrote:Good to know. Thank you!

I was working on minus 21 when I noticed that something was wrong with the code (i was soo familiar with the bgsound tag).
So I started to check if that had something to do with the solution of the level but then I realized every level's tags were changed!

So....still stuck there! :D


Same here Merlo.

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 09-08-2017 17:34
by amh
If you need guidance you can PM me.

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 31-03-2019 15:29
by DiMono
I am not hearing any audio in Firefox or Chrome. IE has it though.

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 31-03-2019 19:18
by amh
DiMono wrote:I am not hearing any audio in Firefox or Chrome. IE has it though.

sound works for me in both Firefox and Chrome

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 18-04-2019 18:21
by Stonecross
actually firefox is now blocking the automatic sound and asking for permission.

just click at the "i" at the left of the url and u'll see "permissions".

Re: Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 18-04-2019 19:54
by amh
Stonecross wrote:actually firefox is now blocking the automatic sound and asking for permission.

just click at the "i" at the left of the url and u'll see "permissions".


Curious. Sound still works fine for me and I just updated FireFox...

Sound in notpron levels

PostPosted: 19-08-2019 19:06
by LorettaGroxy
I am very satisfied, but I noticed that guns noise sounds very low compared to the engine. Guns, cannons, everything is drowned by the excellent engine roarrrrr. Is there a way to tweak these levels, maybe working on the .INI or something?
Thank you in advance gents.